During my ‘debt free’ journey, I have been searching for the simple life. When you have no money to spend, you soon find out that the simple things in life bring you great joy. It has been quite an adventure for my husband and I, and I must admit I’m loving it!
With only $50 ‘fun’ money for a month, we have had to learn to be creative with our free time while not blowing the budget. Some of the things that I have enjoyed over the last year have been:
- Watching the sunrise and sunset (this is truly amazing and everyone should experience it at some point in their life);
- Swimming in the ocean (to me, this is the ultimate joy!);
- Cleaning and organising your home. I have literally gone through every cupboard in every room and kept the things that spark joy and that I love. I have never been that great at ‘cleaning’ haha, but I have found it’s a new passion lol. Opening up my fridge to see everything organised, and pantry all lined up is truly a beautiful thing – maybe my OCD is coming out a little bit – but honestly there is nothing better than waking up in the morning, and coming out to a stunningly clean and organised space !!! I now follow a 8 week cleaning/organising plan for my house – which I will share in future posts;
- Listening to the Tuis and Kingfishers sing in my back yard. We live semi-rural and quite often we have tuis only a few feet away – their singing creates joy by listening to them!
- Baking for my family. Every Sunday we have all our children over for dinner with our beautiful Granddaughter Olive. We look forward to this time every week, and love being together. We try and make it special and have baking on hand and create many laughs and memories together. Family is my number one priority and I love them with all my heart. Baby cuddles with Olive are just the best thing in the world !
- Spending time with my extended family and friends by visiting them on the weekends;
- Picking fresh flowers from the garden and putting them in my lounge, or even sneaking a little rose on my walk and putting it in a glass vase by my bed;
- Burning beautiful candles that I have been given at Christmas or using my essential oils from my beautiful sister;
- Doing yoga off you tube most evenings before bed;
- Reading books – I try to read one book a month that I have received from and shared with my friends;
- Early morning walks or evening walks with my husband, we can talk about our day and share our highs and lows;
- Thrift shopping at the local hospice store;
- Posting on my instagram account and being part of a like minded ‘debt free community’;
- Watching my sons play Basketball or Cricket and watching my daughter play Netball;
- Going on ‘date nights’ with my husband either going out for a cheap ‘sushi’ lunch date or now again to the movies;
- Creating my budgets on excel and colouring in my debt free charts;
- Making a vision board or book – by cutting up old magazines and creating a vision of what I want my future to look like.
I hope I have inspired you to try the ‘simple life’ and enjoy everything around you. Keep saving and winning in life my friends. xxx